what you can do
Abortion is an issue of value, more than the existence of life. Science, philosophy, and ethics tell us that an unborn child is, in fact, a human life. What those fields of study do not speak to is the value of that human life. As Christians, we accept that human beings are created in the image of God and that all have eternal value: the young, the old, male, female, the innocent, the guilty, the unborn - all have immeasurable value. Our aim, then, is not to push pro-life bills through Congress, but to celebrate, and help others see, the value of human life, including the unborn. We are all precious in God's eyes.
So how do we express that value, when it comes to the threat of abortion?
First of all, as righteous as laws of the land may or may not be, understand that the fight for the value of all human life is decided here, in our towns, our churches, our community. If we believe the unborn have value, it is up to us where we are to make an impact.
Here are some ways you can make a difference:
- Church Leaders: Understand that young people are getting pregnant and aborting their children in your church. The more you don't talk about it, the more it will happen. Start a conversation, make publicly available ongoing support and help for pregnant mothers and fathers. ZoeCare can help facilitate this.
- Parents: Talk openly about sex, pregnancy and abortion, and the importance of sexual integrity. Express to your kids unconditional acceptance, love and support. Don't let any sin of theirs come between you. Your daughter may consider getting an abortion because she doesn't want to face your disappointment and the shame that could come on them and you. Your compassion and grace may save the life of your grandchild.
- Don't judge people for having different sins than yours. As the Church we need to help build people up and find restoration and forgiveness in the Lord.
- Become a ZoeCare mentor for a new father or mother. You can breathe life into a new parent and encourage them on their journey. Coming alongside a pregnant mother or her partner provides an alternative to abortion and lets them know that they can carry their child to term and you are there to cheer them on.
- Volunteer. ZoeCare needs women to be patient advocates to meet with young patients that come seeking help. This is the front line where decisions to abort or parent are often made.
- Become a 45North Presenter. 45North is our relationship training program that ZoeCare takes into the schools and church youth groups to teach about healthy relationships and sex. It is our prevention arm of the ministry. A presenter must be able to get in front of 30 unruly middle schoolers and lead them in some uncomfortable topics.
- Give Financially. ZoeCare is doing the work on the ground in our community. All of our services are completely free. We do what we do and minister God's love to hundreds of people every year by the giving support of God's people. We can't do this without you.